Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sculpture Center Reaction


          An artist has to make many decisions when it comes to the installation of his/her work. Some of the things that the artist checks is the space. For this writing I will provide my point of view about whether or not an art needs to be in a specific place to give an expected impression. This time I am sharing three works from The Sculpture Center in Queens.  


          First, I found the “Graphite Piece” by Paul Mogensen, which I consider is in a good place. The colors and texture look good in the place where it is. When I went in to the place where it was, I found exactly what I was expecting; a wall with something on it. If this work is moved from where it is, like in a bigger space, it would lose the intensity that the color transmits. I saw paintings near the place, and I think that they should not be there or there should be more of them, in order to get a place full of works or in order to catch the attention of only the “Graphite Piece”.


          Second, it is a movie (film) from Museum of Modern Art-New York. I like the place where it is. It looks like a mini theater. I think that a little bit of light would not be so bad. I was scared of getting in there because I did not know what was in there. It is too dark but the space it is good enough for the screen that shows the film. The work was not what I expected; in other words, I did not expect that a movie would be there. It would be better if the work is moved to a space where the entrance is bigger. It is sad to see that there is not any other work close to it.


          Last, an untitled work by Kunstmuseum-st. Gallen. This work was the one that I found it was in the appropriate space needed to give the impression that the artist is looking for. It is in a place surrounded by other works related to it and the space where it is is perfect. It looks like a construction side. It would not be a good idea to move it from where it is.


          It is important to know what the work would look like in certain places. It is a difficult decision but once made it, it will worth.


Paul Mogensen-New York
"Graphite Piece"
1969 (2012)

Museum of Modern Art-New York
"Movie"
1970

Kunsmuseum-st. Gallen
"Untitled"
1970 (2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment