Friday, April 6, 2012

MoMA PS1: The Good, the Bad, and the Misunderstood


“Everyone to their own taste” that is how I see art. Art is full of variety and because of that is very difficult to not fall in love with an artist’s work.  On a short visit to the museum Moma PS1, I found one curious art work and the rest nothing to say.

          The art work I liked the most at this museum was (Golden Ghost “The Belongs to Ghost”) by Surasi Kusolwong. This is a great job to point at our economical situation, beside that is fun. I like his authenticity, I mean “To take jewelry and put them in a place where (while searching for them) you have fun” According to the information posted, there are 4.5 tools of thread waste pure gold necklaces with golden ghost motif mirror wooden. I guess that the main idea for this work from Kusolwong is to be happy face even though if you are going through a hard time. This work reminds me of my childhood when I used to play in the playground with the balls in there.

          On the other hand, I found three art works that I did not understand pretty much and those arts are: “Serve up” 2009 (Collection Hudgins Family, New York), Untitled 1999 (Courtesy the Artist), and “Fist and Fury” 2007 (Collection Jonathan and Cathy Miller). Those 3 art works are confusing to me because they all belong to different artists and show a dish with spaghetti. What I don’t understand is why they concentrated their art in food. To add more, because I don’t understand those works I considered that I don’t like them, even though, I like to investigate something deeper, but this is not the case. They did not take my attention in a “Wow”. I think that the spaghettis are interesting but at the same time it’s what really killed my appreciation about them.

          All in all, for a work to be a good art, does not necessarily should have its message clear but it must have something that make you think “Hey! This is great!” For me a art work that does not call my attention, it’s discarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment